Wind Mitigation Orlando Florida
A wind Mitigation tells the insurance company how your roof is designed in terms of shape, its structure and method of attachment to the walls of the house. In addition, if you have hurricane windows these can be included in the description. This gives the insurance company specific details about your house so you get a more accurate, discounted premium.
Cost of Wind Mitigation $85.00
Cost of Wind Mitigation and 4 Point Inspection $130.00
The insurance companies are looking for the following information to make a more specific quote for your home.
What’s Looked at During a Wind Mitigation Inspection?
- The year the home was built (specifically what building code did it comply with)
- The year the roof was built (looking here for after the 2002 Florida building code was effective)
- What the roof covering is made from and when it was last replaced. (County or City permits)
- If you have a water proof layer under the eternal roof covering
- The type of roof deck and its components (nail size, nailing pattern, etc.)
- Roof-to-wall attachments (metal straps or similar.)
- The geometric shape of your roof
- The types of exterior openings your home has (Windows, Doors & Garage door)
The most significant part of the Wind Mitigation in terms of the discount you can potentially receive is the type or shape of roof you have. If you have a Hip roof then you are most likely to get a discount. This shape of roof is most resistant to the force of a strong wind.
The next check is the Building code under which the roof was installed. If the permit was made on or after March 1 2002 and we can find a record of the permit (or indeed you have it). This is because after this date the Florida Building Code required higher standards of covering and installation.
How the roof deck (the wood below the shingle covering) is attached to the rafters (the wooded structure of the roof). There is also a check on the material used.
How the Trusses (the wooden structure of the roof) are attached to the outside walls of the home.
Is there a water resistant barrier between the roof deck and the shingle or tile?
Does the house have hurricane windows, door and garage door. This is pretty unusual in and around Orlando and mainly exists in Southern Florida.
Read more about our Orlando Home Inspection Services